Heading Home ... Maybe ... And Two Important Pieces of Advice

 Fingers crossed. My stupid intolerance for codeine (it makes me nauseous) could possibly interfere with going home today. I can tolerate the codeine as long as I take an anti-nausea drug along with it, but the anti-nausea medication interferes with heart rhythms, and so they won’t send that home with me. And I do still need the pain meds. I still have a bit of fluid in my lungs, and as long as I have pain, I’m not breathing fully, and the lung congestion could get worse. So I just took the new painkiller, Tramadol, and if I manage not to get nauseous, I can go home. The one downside is that I can’t take alcohol with it. I was really looking forward to a glass of wine. 

My first piece of advice is about the painkillers. For reasons that should be clear from the above, I don’t like them. But, after surgery, you really need them. The very odd thing is that the nurses keep asking me IF I want them. In fact, they ask me every 4 or 5 hours if I want the Tylenol ( the correct answer is, Yes, of course), but they frequently don’t mention the stronger stuff. If I don’t ask for it, they don’t offer it. Last night, I got the idea that maybe I should try to get through the night without the Oxycodone since I didn’t think they would give it to me to take at home  I mentioned that to the resident this morning after admitting that I’d only gotten a few hours of sleep, and he informed me that yes, they would give me an Oxy prescription for home if I wanted it, and it would be much more important to show that the pain is under control with the meds than to show that I could tolerate the pain without the meds. So I’m feeling much better and regularly demanding my pain meds. 

My second piece of advice involves scheduling. I was given the choice of having my surgery on a Thursday or the following Monday. I was so eager to get it over with that I chose Thursday. But that meant that a couple of significant recovery days happened over the weekend. And not to sound pathetic, but I did feel slightly abandoned by the grownups on Saturday and Sunday. Given a choice, choose a day early in the week. A quick talk with one of the surgeon’s nurse practitioners this morning restored my faith and bolstered my confidence. And she doesn’t work on the weekend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salad for Breakfast - Shocking Stuff

I survived!